Is There A Reason To Be Concerned About Smart Home Hacking In Akron?
In a variety of ways, smart components like surveillance equipment and video doorbells have enhanced our security. We have the ability to get alerts whenever someone arrives at our front door, and we can even have video clips delivered to us when dubious behavior is found. Having components we may communicate with over the internet warns us of potential hazards instantly. But there is one main disadvantage. The simple access that keeps us connected is also opening a door hackers.
Although you don’t need to lay awake at night fretting over smart home hacking in Akron, you should be cognizant of the potential danger and take action to avoid it.
How To Block Smart Home Hacking
Almost anything is able to be connected to the internet nowadays - your home’s security devices, smart lights, and even your range. The drawback is that this generates more pathways for virtual villains to invade your network. That doesn't mean you have to avoid wireless home defense systems or other smart appliances. Instead, abide by these recommendations and take steps to keep invaders out of your network.
- Create hard-to-crack passwords: This is a necessity for every account, including your wireless configuration. Use uppercase and lowercase and an assortment of letters, numbers, and acceptable special characters. Avoid birthdays, street names, or other options hackers might easily determine. A password generator will provide something absolutely random and password management software will aid you in keeping tabs on your various accounts.
- Update default settings: When setting up a new router, chances are it will come with a preset password to get you started. Adjust it immediately. Hackers may be aware of these default passwords as well. Setting up your Wi-Fi network and new router correctly in the beginning is critical in maintaining your security.
- Set up separate networks: Why include your smart fridge, your home security components, and your home computer on the same network? The majority of routers will let you initiate a distinct guest network. Take advantage of it and shield important information found on your phone, desktop, and laptop.
- Add protection with a firewall: Firewalls aren’t merely for commercial networks. They might also be incorporated into your home network. Firewalls can watch the traffic on your network and block questionable activity. You can begin with a router that offers a built-in firewall.
- Utilize the most up-to-date encryption standards and security protocols: If you own a recently manufactured router, you may have the ability to incorporate WPA3, the current wireless security protocol. If not, WPA2 with AES encryption is still a good choice. You ought to look for home security components that protect with 128-bit or higher.
- Make sure software and firmware is up-to-date: Keep your operating systems up to date for all equipment, including your integrated camera surveillance. Many times, these updates will address vulnerabilities and tighten up your security.
Be Wary of Shoddy Smart Home Equipment In Akron
When working with a reputable company like ADT, you’ll be impressed by the fact that any security vulnerabilities in surveillance systems or other tools are addressed in a quick and expert manner. Other off-the-shelf brands might not be quite as diligent. Getting your surveillance systems, video doorbell, smart thermostat, and other components from a single reputable company like ADT makes sense. And having all of your systems connected at once will go a long way to ensuring seamless configuration, operation, and security. It’s also worthwhile to point out that ADT Command, the central touchpad interface, utilizes two-way encryption when communicating with your smart equipment.
Request Your Own Akron Home Defense Package
Since you now have a greater understanding on how to keep your home network safe from cyber criminals, you’re ready to start on your own home security in Akron. The security professionals at Secure24 Alarm Systems are here to create the perfect package for your property. Dial (330) 355-9089 or complete the form to upgrade your home’s protection.